How I deal with my PCOS

2 comments

This is the post which I was most reluctant to write about, but always felt like I wanted and needed to do it. It's a very personal part of my life but if it could help even one girl it's worth it. 

PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is a condition which can cause irregular periods, excess androgen (male hormones) and cysts in your ovaries. It's extremely common and affects about 1 in 5 women in the UK. I found out that I had this condition when I was 13 and have dealt with the side effects everyday and will for the rest of my life. It can be anywhere from very mild where women don't even find out they have it, to having extreme and tedious effects on your daily life. 

There's several different symptoms you can get from having this condition:
  • Irregular periods or no periods at all
  • Difficulty getting pregnant as a result of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate
  • Excessive hair growth (hirsutism)
  • Weight gain
  • Thinning hair/ hair loss from the head
  • Oily skin or acne  
  • Social anxiety and depression
I've personally dealt with all of these symptoms and they've been quite aggresive (apart from trying to get pregnant) and I know a lot of other girls do too. It's difficult on a daily basis but with time and experience you learn about different techniques and ways in general to help lessen these symptoms and make life easier. 

Hair removal

I could give one piece of advice it would be NOT to shave. Anything. It's something I say to girls even without the condition as it's just asking for thicker, faster growing hair, with PCOS it's just a disaster. Waxing is the best option for your body and threading is the best option for your face. I sometimes pluck annoying hairs but otherwise I stick to these. I completely understand wanting to shave as it's painless and quick but you'll regret it within a few years. Laser hair removal is also highly recommended by any Doctor or Consultant and I'll be going for sessions soon (will update for girls who want it). It's a really good option for those suffering with this condition as you go for about 8 sessions (depending on the thickness and amount of hair) and the hair won't come back anywhere near as fast or thick. The only con to LHR is how costly it is, but you can get it funded through the NHS if you can convince your consultant to put you on the waiting list (I'm getting it done privately as it's a quicker process).

Weight gain

I've never been petite or naturally thin, but I haven't ever been big either. In the past few years (with a mixture of huge stress) I've put on a considerable amount of weight and it's something I was really unhappy about. I never ate a significant amount of unhealthy food/drinks and remained remotely active (with uni etc) so I know it wasn't so much my lifestyle. I went from a size 8/10 to a 12/14 and I hated my body to say the least. To help, I've been eating really healthily and have been going to the gym every day for at least an hour and I've swapped all junk food for fruit and healthy snacks. Plus I only drink water and a lot of it. I make sure to still eat a bit of everything but in moderation and smaller portions. It makes a big difference and you'll see results within a month. I wouldn't ever recommend going on a diet or trying to lose a lot of weight quickly as it's unhealthy and you'll probably put it back on quick. It's much better to change your lifestyle into a healthier, more active one. 

Acne

I haven't really had acne but lately I've been getting a few breakouts and it's just so annoying as it's probably the only symptom I hadn't dealt with. The spots I get are small so aren't that noticeable but are definitely there. The way I've dealt with them is just by maintaining my skincare routine (post is up), doing masks every 3 days and ensuring that I'm gentle with my skin and not touching it. It's important to give time for your skin to heal so I'm not trying to rush anything. I've also been using the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion which is a cult favourite and is recommend for surface blemishes. I use it on more prominent spots and it's definitely helped to reduce them, it doesn't get rid of them though. A friend of mine has dealt with acne because of her PCOS and was given a solution by her doctor to help to reduce them and lighten her dark spots and it's actually made a difference. So if it is something you're having trouble with, speak to your doctor and hopefully they can prescribe you with something suited to you.

Irregular periods

Mine have been, for a long time. I'm not going into much depth as it is very personal so if you want to know more just message me and we can talk about it :) Ways to help irregular periods is pretty much just being healthy and exercising more. It really helped me but everyone is different so speak to your doctor/ consultant and they should be able to advise you on what will be most effective in your situation. 

Thinning hair/ hair loss from head

My hair is naturally thin so this didn't help, once again lol but using oils and avoiding heat damage always helps! I use coconut or mustard oil in hair at least once a week and it has really helped to strengthen my hair. I also don't use as much heat anymore, and don't use any if I don't go out. You can also take vitamins to help strengthen hair which I take everyday, they work too. 

Pregnancy

I'm not familiar with this because I've never tried to get pregnant, but if you are just speak to your doctor about it and they'll be able to help. The usual waiting time before you can speak to a doctor regarding getting pregnant is about 2 years but if you have PCOS it's only about 6 months as the cysts in our ovaries can cause complications. IVF and other procedures are options so never be disheartened. 

If you aren't trying to get pregnant but want to in the future and are concerned about it like me, relax and know that you won't know if there are any complications until you're in a position where you're trying for a baby. You could get pregnant quicker than someone without the condition so don't be alarmed unless your doctor has spoken to you specifically about it. 

Social anxiety and depression

Having all or even one of these symptoms isn't easy to live with. It's actually really difficult and can make you feel so depressed sometimes. There was a point in my life where I felt like I really couldn't deal with this all and wanted to lock myself away. But as I've got older I've understood just to face it and learn how to work around it as I know I'll have to for the rest of my life. Blogging is something I started doing to get my mind off not only this, but other stress I had in my life too. You can always take something good out of a bad situation. Pick up some hobbies and invest your time into them when you're not at college/ uni or work. There's also hundreds of support groups and websites which you can join/ speak on with loads of other women suffering with PCOS and sometimes speaking to someone dealing with the same issue can really remind you that you aren't alone. Counselling is really helpful if you want to speak to someone out of your circle, always ask for support if you need it.

If there's any questions you would like to ask me or you just want to speak to me about any of this or share your experience then please don't hesitate! I'd be more than happy to speak about it. This post was just me speaking from my experience and how I've dealt with it over the past 6 years, everyone is different and results will vary. Remember to always stay strong because I know this condition can really get you down sometimes. You're beautiful no matter what. I love you all xxxx


2 comments

Instagram

© Aaraishh. Design by MangoBlogs.